Monday, October 18, 2010

IPT286- Copyright

From the videos off of the assignment page, I was able to learn more about the Fair Use policy than I knew previously. First of all, I never knew that education is valued above the commercial interests of companies such as Disney or Warner Bros., and this is revealed with the copyright laws for teachers. I think that as a teacher, that could even be important to mention to students so they can see the value that this country places on education and how important it is. I also did not know that the primary purpose of copyright is not to protect authors from theft of their work; but in fact, according to Sandra Day O'Connor, it is to promote the progress of science and art. What this means for me as a teacher is that I must be using the material for education purposes in a face-to-face classroom, and not showing a Disney movie as a reward before summer vacation.

I also did not know that if you have specific questions on your limitations as a teacher you can go to CopyrightEducation.Org which gives specific guidelines on what you can do under Fair Use. I think as a teacher this would be a good thing to download and have on hand in case you have specific questions as a teacher for a specific lesson plan.

I also did not know the specific CONFU limitations such as when showing motion media you can show 10% or 3 minutes, whichever is less and with text its 10% or 1,000 words, whichever is less. Also with music, you can use 10% or 30 sec. max. As a teacher, this is helpful to know when you are unsure about creative commons rights (which is also something that is really cool and I didn't know about before this lesson! ) I also didn't know about the Pics4Learning website- this would be a really useful site for getting photos to put in lesson plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment