Monday, October 11, 2010

Class Website

Ms. Fairbanks Class Website! Click Me!


The assignment for this week was to create a class website and I decided to use Google Sites since that was recommended and I am not too familiar with creating websites. I really enjoyed this assignment and I felt like I learned SO much that will be helpful when I am a future teacher.

For my theme and colors I decided to choose something I thought was classy, with a little color, but not too busy.For my welcome page I posted a picture of myself and used Picnik to edit it to a "focused-black and white setting" with a polaroid picture frame. Picnik was really useful and I think I will really enjoy using it not only in teaching but for my personal life as well. I also have a map of the school I will be teaching at and contact information and a link to my teaching blog on my welcome page as well.

For each of my courses, World Geography and World History I included a Student of the Month page which I made on glogster.com and embedded. I thought Glogster would be a really useful tool for having students make posters or for other presentations as well. I also added a TeacherTube page for each course which has a short video and instructions to an extra credit assigment as well.

I also added GoodReads as one of my gadgets so students can see which books we will be reading for each course and also other books that I recommend if they want some extra reading.

Another feature I added was a countdown for Thanksgiving Break. I thought this countdown could be a good idea for big tests, presentations, field trips or guest speakers as well as holidays.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, it looks great, and you really went above and beyond learning Glogster, Goodreads, AND picnik. Woo-hoo!

    The only points you're missing is the syllabus documents are not public, so I can't view them. You can make it public within Google Documents. If you let me know when that is done, I can regrade it.

    Also, the way you did students of the month and announcements works fine, but it would be much easier as a busy teacher if you used the "announcement" pages in Google Sites. To do this, when you create a new page, don't create a new "webpage" but create a new "announcements" page. This essentially creates a blog-like page where you can make new posts every week, day, or month, or whatever, and people can subscribe to it. Then when you want to update it, you just do a new post, and it pushes the old stuff down.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete